Outside the Box: Values
My perspectives have shifted quite a bit recently, due to Covid, environmental breakdown and a new awareness of social inequity.
What does my art stand for?
Connection to our shared humanity
• Capturing moments of joy and connection
• Inspiring awe at the wonder and beauty of life
• Expressing the inherent contradictions of the human condition – small/big, vulnerable/brave etc
• Being real about the harder aspects of life – mortality, anger, fear, injustice
• Encouraging compassion for oneself and others
• Inspiring hope and a sense of individual empowerment
• Representing people of diverse colors, physical abilities and sexual orientations
• Expressing and documenting important issues of our times
• Being a resource for under-served and disadvantaged communities
• Amplifying the messages of local and global environmental activists
• Business practices – e.g. reducing reliance on un-environmental materials, using local suppliers
How can I be of service through my art, rather than my art simply benefitting me and my immediate audience?